Thursday, January 29, 2015

kids these days.


Kids these days. I mean, am I right or am I right? 

I'm considering teaching an unofficially, official class on how to not completely ruin your grandmother's opinion of her darling grandchild and oh yeah...how to not completely ruin your chances of getting a big boy/girl job one day. 

Chapter 1 of reading material for aforementioned class:

Social media as a Feelings Journal. 

Do not post your real feelings on Facebook. It is not a journal. Thats what they make JOURNALS for. GASP. WHAT?
Yes, actual paper and pen required. 

I know, I know. I'm old school. What can I say, I can always burn my feelings that I write down because they are definitely not in a 'cloud' or on a 'wall'. They are hidden in actual boxes (journals, y'all.). I can burn them quickly, if needed. Also, someone can find them when I am dead and gone and then I will be discovered for the real genius that I am.

I'm kidding.

Sort of. But only about the genius part. I am not kidding about Facebook and Twitter should not be used as your outlet for feelings. Your grandma probably doesn't want to know about your feelings on Doritos and Justin Bieber at 4am. Guess what, your future possible employers don't want to either. And they are judging you. And moving on to the next applicant. Just sayin'. 

Chapter 2: 

Pictures and "selfies":

Oh pictures. Why does nobody understand that snapchat is not so snappy and your photos and videos that you post online for all of your "friends" to see, your future possible employers to see and oh yeah, your grandma are sorta permanent and accessible to everyone. And by 'sorta' permanent and accessible, I mean completely permanent and accessible. Like really. I am not a conspiracy theorist, I am just dropping some knowledge. 

So selfies with half of your clothes off? Not for grandma. 
Pictures of you doing illegal things? Not good for job resumes. 


If you really must put some of your feelings on the interwebs, start a blog or something people only have themselves to blame for clicking on it to read your feelings or thoughts.

 But first, write it down in a journal, like paper and pencil. Then, take the time to type it up. Then edit it. THEN sleep on it. THEN think about if your grandma needs to read it. THEN think about if you ever want to apply for a job in the future. 
Like, ever. 
Then you can press publish. If you want. 

That is all. 

This has been a public service announcement provided by your old curmudgeon/nerdy friend, Dana. 


Because obviously, I only use selfies for important reasons. Like alerting my friends I forgot my makeup. Wisdom comes with age my friends. 

living abundantly,
dana 

No comments: